Mesothelioma And Asbestos Lawyers
Handling Claims Throughout Pennsylvania And Across the U.S.

Free Consultations

Mesothelioma And Asbestos Lawyers
Handling Claims Throughout Pennsylvania And Across the U.S.

Strong Justice For Serious Disease

What should I do if I think my spouse has mesothelioma?

On Behalf of | Aug 1, 2022 | Mesothelioma |

When you worry that your spouse has mesothelioma, that concern can keep you up at night. It can be hard to tell if your concern about your spouse’s health is reasonable or if you have overthought things because of their risky former line of work.

The warning signs of mesothelioma are often subtle at first. First, your spouse seems to lack the energy necessary to fulfill their typical roll around the house or to spend time with you the way that they usually do. Next, you start noticing them coughing or frequently holding their side. You start thinking about their job working in a factory or doing renovation projects.

You know that they had frequent exposure at work to asbestos decades ago, and now you think that they may have mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer, because of their employment history. How do you protect your spouse in that situation?

A doctor will help you evaluate the situation

If your circumstances involve a combination of possible mesothelioma symptoms and a work history that included asbestos exposure, the possibility of mesothelioma is something you should never ignore.

Seeing a doctor to evaluate any symptoms that persist for more than a few days could make a huge difference for your spouse. Although there is no cure for mesothelioma, an earlier diagnosis may help slow the progress of the condition and expand what treatment options are available for your spouse.

While your spouse may want to dismiss their symptoms, convincing them to seek professional medical evaluation as soon as you suspect mesothelioma can help. Attending the appointment with them so that you can provide records of what you witnessed that gave rise to your concern could be a smart decision if your spouse insists on downplaying their symptoms.

Your spouse may require expensive treatment

The sad truth about many cancer treatments is that they are rather costly. Cutting-edge treatments like immunotherapies or bone marrow transplants can have six- or seven-figure price tags. Insurance may not cover the newest treatments yet or may pass along a significant portion of their costs to the patients.

If your spouse had workplace asbestos exposure, a claim for compensation may be possible. The resources available to you can help cover treatment costs if insurance won’t. Familiarizing yourself with the often subtle symptoms of work-related mesothelioma and knowing what steps to take if your spouse seems sick can make a big difference for your family during what will surely be a challenging time.